The Sixties-Remembering Laurel Canyon- Kiyo, Neil Young, John Densmore and a Twilight Zone Zodiac Synchronicity

July 17, 2019
Los Angeles
 Yesterday, I was doing some research and chanced upon an excellent article, “Laurel Canyon is where the new Hollywood lives.”  The article (full text as PDF) was written by journalist Nathaniel Freedland,  and appeared in the Toronto Daily Star,  on, Oct. 11, 1969.
Here is an excerpt from the article, referencing my ex-wife, Kiyo as a local Canyon resident and “Astrologer to the Stars”:

“the prototype of individualistic new-style Laurel Canyonite is Kiyo, the lovely Eurasian astrologer featured in Time magazine’s recent cover story on the revival of occultry. Kiyo casts horoscopes for clients like Jane Russell in a compound of forest chalets at the far end of one of the canyon backroads.
“There’s always something going on around here,” says Kiyo. “The kids are always sending runaways up to see me because they say I’m the only one they’d listen to. I try to get them off drugs because I don’t think they need it to expant their minds.”
The tenant in one of Kiyo’s bungalows is John Densmore, drummer with those controversial rockers The Doors.” (SKH Note- The other cabin was rented by singer Neil Young.)

Here’s a photograph of the Time Magazine cover and inserted photo of Kiyo and Neil Young from March, 1969 as referenced in Freedland’s article above.

Please click below to play 30 sec sound byte Intro before proceeding.

Twilight Zone Intro

A Bizarre Synchronicity

On the very same day ( October 11, 1969) the Laurel Canyon article appeared in the Toronto Sun publication featuring Kiyo, my ex-wife and the former lover/mistress of my father, Dr. George Hill Hodel; George is up in San Francisco and commits the brutal Zodiac execution murder of cabdriver, Paul Stine.
GEORGE HODEL AS “ZODIAC” EXECUTES SAN FRANCISCO CAB DRIVER ON OCT 11, 1969 at 10:00 pm

Alice gazed into her looking glass and asked herself, “Can things get any tripper than this?”

1. Dennis Effle on July 17, 2019 at 6:47 pm

One can not, I repeat, can not, get any “Trippier” than this! Down the long and ever widening Rabbit Hole, ’round and ’round it goes and where it stops………..Not even the “Shadow” knows. Sorry for mixing my metaphors : ) This article covers the time I knew both, Young and Densmore and was aware of their living on Rid……. St. but I never meet of even saw Kiyo. Like Mawell Smart before me; “I was “This” close! “

• Steve Hodel on July 17, 2019 at 11:00 pm

Dennis E:
      Just as well you didn’t see “The raven-haired, ruby lipped, “Witchy Woman” fly by back then. Who knew “she’d been sleeping in the Devil’s bed.”?
      Six planets in LEO. Ouch!

2. Matt G on July 18, 2019 at 10:50 am

Hi Steve – there was an effort to link Bruce Davis (Family member) to Zodiac. I read that book and see possible, but tenuous, connections. Makes me wonder if your dad ever had any crossover with ‘The Family’. Seems like an MD who specialized in STDs (and ran with a darker set of folks) might be someone some of them might seek out. Or that timeline might be off – not sure if your dad was still practicing medicine at that time.

• Steve Hodel on July 18, 2019 at 11:09 am

Matt G:
      No, I’m sure there was no connection with GHH and any of the Manson Family. I know there was the Laurel Canyon connections with Manson, but I’m sure all that was separate. Dad did keep an active M.D. license until his death at 91. He wrote Seconal R/X for June and when she saved up enough pills he took them to OD at age 91. Best, Steve

3. Joakim on July 19, 2019 at 8:55 pm

What exactly is a psychopathic killer? Does their psychopathy crave blood? Mostly, I think, serial killers are fantasy-driven creatures; half psychotics deep in gory dreams. So psychopaths are kind & loving folks? No, but I think real psychopathic killers appear when somebody bothered them, as revenge.murderers: “overkill”-culprits. That is when the hidden (active) sadist in certain sociopaths appear. Can a psychopath that women angered become so hateful that this makes him a rather unusual serial killer? Maybe.

4. Jason McGuire on July 20, 2019 at 12:34 pm

Steve need help I am way over my head investigating Kristen Smart and Maria Ruggiero murders in San Luis Obispo, Ca.
    Requesting a chat basically.
    [email protected]
    I know my email is being published.

• Steve Hodel on July 20, 2019 at 1:01 pm

Jason M:
      Hi Jason. I know none of the details about either of those victims other than just taking a quick look on the internet. Not really able to involve myself in them at this time, just too many of my own cold cases to examine. (Book 5- “The Early Years”) If you want to email me a question or? you can reach me at [email protected] Best, Steve

• Adrian Wayne on July 30, 2019 at 11:46 pm

The Halloween card sent by Zodiac, features eyes peering through wood fence slats, similar to the door of “Given.” Have you written someyhing about this before I can read? Also, I always wondered, was the Halloween card made by hand (paint? Marker?) Or an altered store bought card? Thanks for all your investigating. I can’t believe I didn’t learn any of this in art school!

• Steve Hodel on July 30, 2019 at 11:55 pm

A. Wayne:
          Too much to try and communicate here re. the Halloween card. Actually, the inspiration for the eyes comes from the movie SPELLBOUND from the surreal dream sequence. You can search my blog site using keywords in the “Search” box under my badge. “Halloween card” or Surrealism or any word. The card was store-bought and altered using “white out”. Best, Steve