Fact Checking Newsweek Article “True Story Behind ‘Root of Evil’ Podcast, Black Dahlia Murder and Fauna Hodel- Who Is George Hodel?”

June 4, 2019
The following NEWSWEEK article, True Story Behind ‘Root of Evil’ Podcast, Black Dahlia Murder and Fauna Hodel”- Who Is George Hodel?” by Culture Writer, Kelly Wynne was published this morning.

(I have added the real Hodel family names to the characters portrayed in the above publicity photo. India Eisley portrays my niece, Fauna Hodel; Connie Nielsen in the role of my mother, Dorothy Hodel (Corinna”) and Jefferson Mays plays my father, Dr. George Hill Hodel.)

Full Article HERE.

Fact-checking the Newsweek article:

1. “George was a gynecologist at the time of the Black Dahlia murder.”
No.  George was never a “gynecologist” he did, however, have specialized training in venereal disease control and in earlier years was the V.D. Control Officer for the entire L.A. County.
  1. “Hodel was first suspected of the murder because he was accused, and charged, with sexually assaulting his daughter Tamar Hodel.”
No.   According to Tamar Hodel’s statements, “police were investigating and “first suspected” George several years earlier back in 1947” and George informed her, “No more nude sunbathing Tamar, the police are watching me.” We also now have documented evidence from the Glenn Martin Letters (Martin was a paid LAPD informant working undercover) that Martin’s acquaintance George Hodel “was brought in and grilled on the Black Dahlia and Louise Springer murders” shortly after the Springer murder in June 1949. (Three months before Tamar’s incest disclosure and arrest and placement in “protective custody”  by LAPD and six months prior to the incest trial.)
  1. “…police bugged Hodel’s home in hopes of hearing something about the murder. It took a while, but the audio finally captured something incredibly alarming: the sound of a woman’s scream. …Hodel’s secretary was said to die of a drug overdose. It’s unclear if the screams came from her…”
No. It’s not unclear considering that his secretary, Ruth Spaulding and George Hodel’s suspected overdosing of her and the LAPD investigation of him as a possible murder suspect occurred in May 1945, nearly five years prior to the DA/LAPD taping of the woman’s screams. What is clear is that this February 18, 1950, tape-recorded beating and recorded screams of the unidentified woman very likely resulted in another George Hodel serial murder on tape, with the police taking no action or any attempt to make a rescue. (They were four minutes away from the residence at time of the assault and or murder.) Consequently, as documented in my investigation, their need to cover-up the case after GHH fled the country. They could not allow this to become public.
  1. …Because of the amount of time that’s passed since the Black Dahlia’s death, real name Elizabeth Short, it seems unlikely a full conclusion will ever be met.”
No. “A full conclusion” “Case Solved, Dr. Hodel Did It” has been made by many including at least seven (7) top law enforcement officers four (4) of whom were directly involved in the original case. They’re separate stated “conclusions” documented in below video “Case Solved”.
LA Head Deputy DA Steve Kay’s Public Declaration that Dr. George Hodel Guilty Beyond a Reasonable Doubt and evidence enough to convict in a Jury Trial. (Play 30-sec video below)

“Case Solved- Dr. George Hodel Did It” conclusion has been rendered by the following top Law Enforcement officers:

LAPD Chief William H. Parker
LAPD Deputy Chief of Detectives Thad Brown
LAPD Chief of Detectives James MacMurray
LASD Commander Thomas Vetter
LASD Undersheriff James Downey
LA Head Deputy DA Steve Kay
LADA Lt. Frank Jemison

Original Top LAPD, LASO and DA Investigators Then and Now Confirm that the "Black Dahlia Murder was Solved"

TOP BRASS LAPD/LASA/LADA ‘CASE SOLVED’ (3 min video)

STEVE KAY HEAD DDA “CASE SOLVED” (3 min video)

1. Luigi Warren on June 4, 2019 at 2:04 pm

Steve: Let’s face it, the universe is just a gigantic game of telephone. -LW

2. Steve Hodel on June 4, 2019 at 2:25 pm

LW: Sad but true-pass it on. And, even at the speed of sound, when it gets back to us it’s unrecognizable.

3. Barry Guerrero on June 4, 2019 at 2:39 pm

I think a big problem is that a lot of people don’t want it solved. The story will continue to sell if it remains a mystery and ‘the black dahlia’ holds a mystique that almost no other murder seems to continue perpetuating. And, as you know, Steve, a lot of people need the ‘smoking gun’ in order to be fully convinced. The Glenn Martin letter; the receipts for the bags of cement; the general ID-ing of the car on Norton Ave.; the ‘surrealist’ posing of ES’s body at the site; GHH’s offhanded comment caught on tape; the sudden ‘taking the powder’ in 1950 to Hawaii and – later on – out of the country – those appear to be the best hard evidence so far. Then if one accepts the possible previous murders and the street name connections M.O. – well, that’s good circumstantial evidence as well.

• Steve Hodel on June 4, 2019 at 3:24 pm

Barry G:

Yes, agreed. Lot more too. All of the separate “top brass” individual statements that the “case was solved and Dr. Hodel did it”. The Unkefer Letter. Handwriting confirmations from court-certified QDE, with no other QDE contradicting her analysis and saying “it’s not GHH HW.” But, my point in this blog is how sloppy and superficial today’s “reporting” is compared to even a decade ago. I predict we will get DNA confirmation on some of the cases in the near future that matches GHH’s DNA in my possession, and still, we will get some “flat earth” naysayers.

Here’s a direct quote from a friend of mine just received. He’s a top-notch Award-winning old-school journalist so he’s been there done that and he KNOWS:

Steve:

“Whoever wrote this didn’t do any reporting at all, but simply rewrote some things she found online.
      That’s all Newsweek amounts to these days – the online ghost of a once reputable magazine. “

4. Lucas Pickford on June 5, 2019 at 3:45 pm

Well this is exactly what I’m talking about. The media is once again putting out total BS not only about the facts of the Black Dahlia case but about GHH himself. And in doing so (in my opinion) is preemptively positioning itself to be the “Ministry of Truth” in all matters GHH especially the (again my opinion) upcoming naming of GHH as the Zodiac Killer which they want to take sole credit for solving completely ignoring Steve Hodel’s work and giving him zero credit when in fact it’s Steve who single handedly brought the facts about the BDA to light thereby solving the case!
    Never mind the DNA evidence he’s offered and been refused on multiple occasions to SFPD in regard to Zodiac!

I’m sorry Steve this stuff just makes me crazy. That awful episode of “Mission Declassified “ or whatever the hell it’s called on BDA where your name wasn’t mentioned a single time and the way Tamar’s nieces were crying and hugging the host and now this utter drivel here about “fact checking GHH” , it’s just effing disgusting. Bah! OK, rant over (lol).
    Love ya Steve, you WILL be vindicated.

Lucas

• Steve Hodel on June 5, 2019 at 4:42 pm

Lucas P:
      Thanks as always.
      Actually, I have a fairly large and knowledgable readership some of whom go back to the outset in 2003. But, of course, it doesn’t reach the viewership of a miniseries. That’s why I hope to see my and some very talented friends “project” get made as a 8 or 10 part miniseries/documentary that becomes the cultural/historical documentation of GHH and his incredible impact on crime through the decades. His victim count and unique crime signatures as a modern-day “Professor Moriarty” or “Minotaur” really did make “Jack the Ripper” and even “Ted Bundy” look Bush League.” So, while I will on occasion “fact check” some of these articles like those published in “Newsweek” and “Vanity Fair” etc. probably best to ignore most as just gives fuel to the fire. But, I’m confident will get the project made while I’m still vertical. Thanks again to you and all my readers for your confidence and support. That’s the real manna for us, true crime writers. Steve

5. Lucas Pickford on June 5, 2019 at 5:28 pm

Well you’re a hell of lot more than just a “true crime writer “ Steve that’s for sure. But yeah you’re right and I know your readers understand the real facts about all this material , I just get nuts watching the mainstream propaganda and lies. But that’s me I suppose. Kristin doesn’t even let me watch some stuff (crime documentaries) with her because she knows how crazy I get (lol). Anyway brother, talk soon.
    Lucas

PS: And as you always say….

“All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.”
    – Arthur Schopenhauer