February 2, 2021
Ground Hog Day
I dearly miss my brother, Mike. I came across the below photograph taken by Steven Moore showing Mike interviewing Ray Bradbury on his late night show, “Mike Hodel’s Hour 25” back in 1982.
Born and raised here, Mike was a true “Force for Good” in Los Angeles and devoted his life to “causes” and loved and was loved by his many listeners.
Brother Mike died way too young, taken from us at the age of 47 after being diagnosed with Cancer. Melanoma took him fast, just a few months from diagnosis to death. He passed on May 6, 1986.

Mike Hodel & Ray Bradbury on “Hour 25 SFTV” (1982)

Mike Hodel era (1972-1986)

Excerpt from Wikipedia:
Hour 25 was one of the longest-running science fiction radio programs, surpassed by only Hour of the Wolf, and surpassing Shockwave Radio Theaters 28 year run. In its first years, Hour 25 functioned almost as a science fiction “web page” for the Los Angeles area fan base, before computer technology made it much simpler to keep up-to-date on news and events in the relatively small world of science-fiction fandom. It was also one of the earliest programs to be taken seriously by both authors and publishers.

As the show became more of a fixture in the LA science-fiction community, noted authors began to make appearances on the show. Theodore Sturgeon was the first author to be interviewed by the show, in 1973; in the years following, Hour 25 interviewed virtually every major writer in the field. One well-known recorded interview was with author Philip K. Dick in 1976, in which Mike Hodel talked with Dick about his new book, “A Scanner Darkly“, and Dick read some passages which he said were inspired by his own use of drugs. The original recording was over three hours long, but the broadcast version was edited to be much shorter. Some time after being aired, Hodel realized that neither version of the interview could be found in the station archives, but a 75-minute version of the Dick interview is now available and a transcript is held on the Internet Archive. [1]

Here’s a much longer blog I did a few years back with additional details.

GOOD NIGHT MIKE!

1. Luigi Warren on February 3, 2021 at 1:27 am

Steve:

One of my early memories from LA is a conversation with a fellow sci-fi fan at a weekly Objectivist meetup in Westwood in ’86. He waxed lyrical about Hour 25 and I still recall how he was quite broken up about your brother. I became a regular listener in the Harlan Ellison years and I assume that’s why the name Hodel seemed familiar when I came across the story about you in The Guardian thirty years later. Turned out that truth can be even stranger than science fiction.

Best regards,

-LW

• Steve Hodel on February 3, 2021 at 1:43 am

LW:
      So true Luigi.
      When I was reading the Wikipedia summary on Mike and they mentioned his concept of “The Group Mind” where he could ask any question on the radio that needed an answer and within a short time “The Group Mind” as one of the thousands of listeners could come up with the answer. Then nearly twenty years later my idea of “thoughtprints” came to being with the potential to connect a person to a place, or potential crime. Mike was a very cool dude. A super nerd before the term was invented.
      p.s. I was never a Harlan fan the few times I met him. Super caustic personality, but Mike and he seemed to “hit it off” so that’s all the counted.

2. Luigi Warren on February 3, 2021 at 12:54 pm

Yes, I understand HE had an ego the size of a planet and could be pretty obnoxious — even just going by the stories he told about himself. But a very interesting guy and a great voice on radio -LW

3. Patricia ONeill on February 3, 2021 at 4:49 pm

Steve, A talented young man gone too soon but well remembered by the sci-fi world of authors! I am sure my son Joe & youngest daughter Grace may have been familiar with your brother Mike’s interviews & work in the Sci-fi world. Will have to ask them! To Joe & Grace in the ‘80’s/90’s, anything sci-fi related was their big interest & enjoyment👍! My sci-fi interest was limited to Philip Jose Farmer, Riverworld Series! After that I was too involved in True Crime works! Now living in such turbulent times, I feel sci-fi really is not fiction. Those authors, your brother, “saw” the future & let us glimpse that future in their works & discussions! Relating to “Riverworld”, Steve, one day in the great beyond we will “meet” w/Mike & share a delightful lunch with your invited guests & my group of guests including Winston Churchill, my grandfather Patrick McGoldrick, John Hartford…..wait, lets make it cocktails & dinner……too much to discuss!!🥂😎🌵

• Steve Hodel on February 3, 2021 at 6:44 pm

Patricia O:
      It’s a Date! I can get off this twenty-year-wagon and resume my Johnny Walker Black with no fear of it harming the physical cause there won’t be no physical. Perfect! But, to be honest, not in any rush for it. Let’s make fifteen or twenty years down the cloud.

• Patricia ONeill on February 3, 2021 at 9:00 pm