Dr. George Hill Hodel Lineage: Who’s Who in “Root of Evil: The True Story of the Hodel Family and The Black Dahlia?

March 1, 2019

Here is a Hodel Lineage graphic put together by my good friend, mystery writer and retired Dallas P.D. police officer, Robert J. Sadler. This helps us (including myself) understand at a glance who’s who in the Hodel Family lineage. The following family members contributed by providing interviews in the Cadence 13 Root of Evil: The True Story of the Hodel Family and the Black Dahlia eight-episode podcast currently airing on a station near you: Rasha, Yvette, Tamar, Fauna, Deborah (Fauna II), Peace, Love, Joy, Kelvin, and Steve.

1. Jayne on March 3, 2019 at 1:45 pm

Do you not believe that the first Fauna Hodel is the offspring of Tamar and your respective father George Hodel?

• Steve Hodel on March 3, 2019 at 1:58 pm

Jayne: No, not possible. My father was in Hawaii when Tamar became pregnant. Tamar was clear that Fauna’s father was an “Italian Male in San Francisco.”

2. Julie on March 4, 2019 at 10:22 am

Hi, Steve,

I am just now learning about Fauna, but had heard about the Black Dahlia murder awhile back. I know as retired law enforcement, you have to be objective and logical. But I cannot imagine what this must be doing to you on an emotional level. I intend to read your books and learn more. My heart just goes out to you and I feel you are very strong to not just know this information, but explaining it as well as you do so others can see what really happened.

I hope that wasn’t too off topic, if so, I apologize. I am inspired by your work and strength.

• Steve Hodel on March 4, 2019 at 10:46 am

Julie: Thank you for the kind words. Much appreciated. Best suggested reading order for books is: BDA (SkyHorse/Arcade 2015ed), then Most Evil I (Dutton 2009); then BDA II (Thoughtprint Press 2014 ed.); Most Evil II (2015 Rare Bird Books and finally BDA III (2018 Rare Bird Books). Best, Steve

• Judy on March 5, 2019 at 5:43 am

I’ve been reading about your family tree but haven’t seen anything about June Hodel. I believe she was your dad’s last wife & is she still living? Where did they meet & live? Also, were you in contact with your dad growing up & what did he think about you being a detective? I found your story about being married to Kiyo quite strange & how you must have felt finding out about her affair with your dad in earlier years. I don’t understand why someone didn’t tell you about her. So many questions! GOD bless you for bringing so much information to all of us & please continue.

• Steve Hodel on March 5, 2019 at 10:36 am

Judy: Thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated. Yes, Kiyo has her own chapter in my book, Black Dahlia Avenger. No word from June since I called and disclosed my findings to her way back in 2003 before the first book was published. Don’t know where she’s living? San Francisco? Japan? They met when she was just 22 he hired her to work in his Tokyo office, then they traveled and married in the Eighties.

3. Jeffrey Smith on March 4, 2019 at 3:04 pm

Reading your first book. Very interesting. What do you think of the new mini series ‘I Am the Night’ although obviously fictionalized, how much is actually accurate?

• Steve Hodel on March 4, 2019 at 3:15 pm

Jeffrey. About 95% fiction the podcast root of evil however is about 95% fact so I do recommend the cadence 13 show

4. Bernadette on March 5, 2019 at 10:27 am

I just finished watching I Am the Night and was left wondering if George really is the father of Fauna. My first thought was DNA. Have they both been DNA tested to verify this? How much DNA testing has been done in relation to this case?

I was left with so many questions after watching. I look forward to reading your book and listening to the podcast to learn more.

• Steve Hodel on March 5, 2019 at 10:41 am

Bernadette: The I Am The Night is a fictional dramatization, which is about 95% invented. No, George Hodel was NOT Fauna’s father. My half sister Tamar, Fauna’s mother was very clear that the father was a Male White Italian American living in San Francisco. My father had left the country to Hawaii so could not have been the father. I haven’t seen the IATN miniseries, but if that is what they are saying that George fathered Fauna it’s an abolute NO. Best, Steve

5. Jean E Atwood on March 7, 2019 at 4:28 pm

I have not seen anything mentioned about Duncan lately. Is he still alive. How does he feel about all this focus on George of late?

6. ShaLonte Danielle Jordan on March 8, 2019 at 1:37 pm

I recently found out about George Hodel. I did know of the Black Dahlia Murder but didn’t know anything about him. He seems like a very interesting character but what was he like in real life. Was he anything like how they betrayed him in the TV Show I am the Night

• Steve Hodel on March 9, 2019 at 12:27 pm

ShaLonte D Jordan: I didn’t see the miniseries episodes, just the trailer. But, from what I saw and from what friends have told me, NO, the actor did NOT capture my father’s character/personality/or mannerisms.

7. Olivia on March 8, 2019 at 5:31 pm

Steve, did you ever find out how Tamar knew that her father was the Black Dahlia murderer? What did she see/hear to lead her to make that announcement during the incest trial? Thanks very much.

• Steve Hodel on March 9, 2019 at 12:25 pm

Olivia: No, but I suspect she heard it at the house prior to the 1949 arrest for incest. Possibly from my mother, “Dorero” who after learning of the sex crimes/molestation in October 1949 told Tamar to “runaway, your life is in danger.” Tamar didn’t bring it up during the trial, the defense attorney Robert Neeb did to discredit her to the jury as making up outrageous stories.

• Ted Sheridan on March 9, 2019 at 7:30 pm

The irony of this is rich – the ‘preposterous’ notion of George Hodel being the Black Dahlia killer helped get him acquitted in the incest trial. Can’t imagine what was going through his head when this came up in the trial.

• Steve Hodel on March 9, 2019 at 8:01 pm

Ted S: Exactly so. I’m sure that the defense attorney, Robert Neeb brought it up because it was so preposterous without dad knowing he was going to ask it. Dad must have almost peed his pants when he heard it, or maybe he did ?

8. Gabi Y. on March 13, 2019 at 11:07 pm

Just listened to episode 5 of Root of Evil podcast. It is terrible the cycle of abuse that George initiated. But despite this, it seems that hopefully it has stopped with Tamar’s children? Anyway, no need to answer that question. However, in regards to your younger half-siblings by Hortencia, I’m going to assume they’re half-Filipino? Also, have you met them? And what was their upbringing like?

• Steve Hodel on March 14, 2019 at 10:00 pm

Gabi Y. Hi Gabi. Yes, I met my four half-brothers and sisters when they were small children living in Manila when I was stationed in the Navy at Subic Bay, P.I. Saw them on weekend leaves when they were small, 4,5,6,7 ish. Yes, they are half Filipino/Filipina. My father was married to their mother for a short time, maybe four or five years? Two of my half brothers have passed away and the two half-sisters are still living. The children grew up in lives of wealth and privilege. None of them believe their father was a serial killer, though I doubt they have read my books. Best, Steve

9. Savvy Dora on March 14, 2019 at 11:29 pm

Hello, Mr. Hodel. I’ve long been riveted by the tragic story of Elizabeth Short, have watched documentaries and read articles and blogs about her, and visited her forlorn little grave in Oakland. I have read your first book about the case, and seen you on various shows and podcasts, and more recently watched I Am the Nignt and am now listening to The Root of Evil.

I’m haunted by the additional tragedies I now know your family has experienced, and am amazed by the astonishing bravery so many Hodels have mustered up to share their stories.

What is your opinion of the book Severed and John Gilmore’s completely different explanation of the Black Dahlia murder and the culprit? In his book, it seemed like he got a confession from some else.

Thank you.

• Steve Hodel on March 14, 2019 at 11:38 pm

Savvy Dora: Thanks. Glad you enjoyed the read. Gilmore like the “I Am The Night” is mostly fictional. The evidence against Dr. George Hill Hodel is way beyond a reasonable doubt now. Suggest you read the follow-up books which add a massive amount of linkage and evidence. Regards, Steve

10. Shannon on March 22, 2019 at 2:01 pm

I’m currently listening to Root of Evil. I can remember reading about the Black Dahlia almost 2o years ago & seeing the name Hodel. Never knew of your book. Can’t wait to read it. What a journey you’ve had! I’m sure I will come to it eventually, but was there ever a warrant for George’s arrest??