ROOT OF EVIL: The TRUE STORY of the HODEL FAMILY and the BLACK DAHLIA Eight Hour Podcast To Debut Wednesday Feb 13th

February 11, 2019

ROOT OF EVIL: THE TRUE STORY of the HODEL FAMILY and the BLACK DAHLIA-
Podcast debuts Wed, Feb 13th.

The podcast will be hosted by Fauna Hodel’s two daughters (my great nieces) Rasha and Yvette

I have had an opportunity to preview Emmy Award Winning Documentarian Zak Levitt’s, ROOT of EVIL (seven of the eight episodes).  After listening to them, I can confirm that the series of family interviews does in fact capture “The True Story.” My family members have in their separate interviews, been brutally honest in conveying their unique experiences (most of them totally new and profoundly shocking to me.)  I highly recommend the series which will present our family truths which are far-far stranger than fiction.

LAPD Homicide  Detective III Steve Hodel #11394 (Ret.)

“This is a story more than 70 years in the making. The Black Dahlia has generated incredible interest and attention through the years, but nothing has gotten to the heart of the incredibly painful, and ultimately triumphant story of the family that has had to carry the Hodel name – a name synonymous with the most brutal unsolved murder in American history. Through fresh interviews with the Hodel family and a trove of never-before-heard archival audio, we hope Root of Evil will be the most three-dimensional Black Dahlia story yet.”

ZAK LEVITT
Exec VP/Producer, Cadence 13

Rolling Stones Article on ROOT OF EVIL

1. Tess on February 12, 2019 at 11:26 am

I’m so excited for it to start!

2. Ted on February 12, 2019 at 1:51 pm

I’m very much looking forward to this, especially having just read Sheila Weller’s recent piece on FaunaElizabeth. Very courageous of both you and your family to share your stories, however painful, with the public.

3. Wilma Mendez on February 12, 2019 at 3:44 pm

What time will this air on podcast

• Steve Hodel on February 12, 2019 at 3:52 pm

Wilma M: I don’t think it has an actual airtime? I think it will become available to hear/play once it’s posted which will probably be sometime after midnight. So likely, anytime one goes to the podcast location of their choice they can just click and play. I think that’s how it works? Steve

• Kerri on February 12, 2019 at 6:09 pm

I’m new to podcast how do i get to hear this pod cast is there an app I can down load?

• Steve Hodel on February 12, 2019 at 6:18 pm

Kerri: So am I so we will have to figure it out tomorrow when it goes online. I think by just going to the below link and following the instructions we will be good to go and be able to play the audio. Steve

• Emily on February 12, 2019 at 9:58 pm

Can’t wait to listen!! I like the Overcast app . Just download any podcasting app and search for and subscribe to the podcast. When new episodes are released they will show up in your app.

4. Dan Lackey on February 12, 2019 at 3:45 pm

Hi Steve, I have been watching “I Am The Night”, mainly to see how it would be handled. It has been entertaining. There is a man named Seth, who has been following Fauna around, & last night he was shown doing a surrealist sculpture to show GHH. George wasn’t impressed & told Seth not to try to reach the height that he was at. I couldn’t help but wonder if Seth is supposed to represent Fred Sexton, just as Corinna is supposed to represent your Mother. Until now, I figured he was purely fictional. They are playing up the surrealistic aspect of the story, which I do like to see.

• Steve Hodel on February 12, 2019 at 3:59 pm

Hi Dan: Yes, sounds like a fictional version of Fred Sexton. My problem, as you know, is that the public will believe all this fictional stuff and remain unaware of the truths, but Cst La Vie, or rather Cst La Hollywood. I am a Chris Pine fan ever since he played a young Capt. Kirk. At least it’s raising the profile and introducing George Hodel to the world ti a much broader audience than my books have. Lot of articles out now as a result of the miniseries. Be sure to catch the eight-hour podcast, Root of Evil, which begins tomorrow Best, Steve

5. Cleveland girl on February 13, 2019 at 11:12 am

Is there some kind of website that follows the podcast? Pictures that the daughters mention in the podcast? Original pictures of the birth certificate or pictures of the real people?

• Steve Hodel on February 13, 2019 at 11:17 am

Cleveland girl:
      Not that I’m aware of. Sorry. My website http://www.stevehodel.com/blog has most of the investigative references and is searchable by keywords. Regards, Steve

6. Emily on February 13, 2019 at 7:45 pm

What did you think of episode 1?? I thought it was very interesting and well produced. It must have been weird for you to hear your sisters and nieces voices.

• Steve Hodel on February 13, 2019 at 8:11 pm

Yes, Well done. I’ve heard the first seven of eight. Very happy with the production. Gets way better as the story unfolds. A lot of their interviews were all new to me yes.

7. Lyn on February 14, 2019 at 12:58 pm

Hi, George,
    You are an amazing man to have worked so hard to find answers. I just listened to the podcast and am trying to square away all the family members. Who was Tamar’s real mother? Did Tamar live with her Dad? At the beginning of the podcast, an 11 year old breaks into Geotge’s house with her mother. Who is that? The sisters said their Aunt.

Thank you.

• Steve Hodel on February 14, 2019 at 1:18 pm

Lyn: Hi Lyn. Actually, I’m not “George” that was my father. I’m Steve. Tamar’s real mother was Dorothy Anthony Barbe. Tamar came down from her permanent home with her mother in San Francisco and lived with us at several homes “off and on” just for a few months at a time when she was 11 and again at 14. That was Tamar’s second daughter, Deborah Elizabeth aka Fauna II, my niece other niece. The house was vacant for a decade back in the Sixties and my sister and Fauna II broke inside and “checked it out.” Regards, Steve

8. Lyn on February 15, 2019 at 12:38 pm

So sorry, Steve! I knew you weren’t George (thank goodness)! My apologies for the error.

• Steve Hodel on February 15, 2019 at 12:50 pm

Lyn: Well, we do share some genes, and I do have to thank him for the “persistence genes” He kept doing his thing because of them, and so did I! *s*

9. Ted on February 15, 2019 at 10:53 pm

[Potential podcast spoilers]

Hi Steve – I really enjoyed the first episode of the podcast! There are a couple of events that your niece Fauna describes in her memoir that I was curious about, and that I haven’t seen you comment on in any of your books. One is Fauna coming face-to-face with GHH in San Diego (if I recall correctly), even though they didn’t ‘meet’ and she had no idea who he was until later meeting the rest of her birth family. Fauna also describes her phone lines being tapped, hints that your cousin Marion had been afraid to talk to her (she says she was told by GHH not to speak to him), and strongly suggests George was responsible for the brutal murder of her adoptive cousin (this was referenced in the TNT fictionalization as well, but with a different character). This all would have been in the mid- to late-sixties. I’m curious as to your take on these, or if you have any direct knowledge of any of it. And will they be brought up in the podcast? Looking forward to the next episode!

Regards, Ted