Black Dahlia Avenger–Zodiac –Thirty Unique Crime Signature and M.O. Comparisons

13 February 2015

DID GEORGE HODEL AS L.A.’S  “BLACK DAHLIA AVENGER” REINVENT HIMSELF AS SAN FRANCISCO’S “ZODIAC” TWENTY YEARS LATER?

GHH Avenger Zodiac compare

Over the past year, I have received numerous requests asking me to clarify my position and state my reasons why I believe that my father, Dr. George Hill Hodel, the 1940s, Lone Woman Serial Killer also known as, the “Black Dahlia Avenger” may have reinvented himself twenty years later as the San Francisco serial killer, known as, “Zodiac.”

For those interested in examining the specific linkage, I would suggest they read the material summarized in MOST EVIL (Dutton, 2009) and advise them to “stay tuned” as I anticipate releasing new information in the near future.

That said, I am here providing a link to a YouTube recorded PowerPoint summary of what I consider to be THIRTY SEPARATE AND UNIQUE  CRIME SIGNATURES AND MO’S used by both Black Dahlia Avenger and Zodiac. (Have also attached the summary at bottom of blog, as a condensed downloadable PDF.)

As I indicate in the summary, for a homicide investigator to find two or three unique signatures would generally be enough to demand they  “take a look” at any two separate crimes as possibly being connected to the same killer. However, to discover THIRTY, as rare and distinct as what we find in the BDA/LONE WOMAN MURDERS and ZODIAC signatures is unheard of and screams out for some forensic follow-up.  (To date none of the five separate law enforcement agencies have examined any of the linkage.  The California Department of Justice’s handwriting expert, at my request, has compared George Hodel’s handwriting to Zodiac’s and due to the lack of lowercase printing (he requested additional samples from me, which are non-existent)  claims he is unable to positively identify the samples, but goes on to state, “I am unable to eliminate George Hodel as the author of the Zodiac letters.”

I have obtained a full DNA profile on my father, Dr. George Hill Hodel, that is available to law enforcement for testing. However, to date, no confirmed Zodiac DNA exists, and many of the potential evidence samples remain untested. (The best potential for confirmed Zodiac DNA remains the men’s size 7 gloves from the Paul Stine, San Francisco, taxi-cab murder. (In 2010,  DOJ informed me they “were looking for them to test, but apparently they were as then “lost” somewhere in the SFPD Evidence Lockers.”

(Video approximately 10 minutes)

MO Sigs blog pdf

Comments

1. John Ayers says:

This really deserves investigation. I would like to see citizens such as yourself with experience empowered to represent law enforcement, have access to resources, etc. in pursuing cold cases. Some retired officers may not be interested but those who are could be invaluable. You have proven that a lot of progress could be made.

2. I have found your books to be fascinating and very compelling. I have no doubt that you have identified two serial killers in one.
    I am not a psychiatrist, but I am a physician. I must tell you that I do not agree with your conclusion that your father was simply a narcissist or that the causes may be found in his childhood. Your father was a sociopath, wired without a conscience. While his childhood may explain why his rage was directed at women, it is not to “blame” for the man. You cannot claim a dissociative personality disorder and claim that he gloated during a hot balloon ride over SF. He had memory of all he did, with the exception of perhaps drug induced state. He may have been carried by his rage, but there is no way he could feel any regret or remorse for what he did. He was incapable, He may have appreciated “wrong” as an intellectual concept, but could not truly feel what wrong is. He likely came out the womb wired without a conscience. I cannot view him as a “sick” individual for illness inspires sympathy and empathy. There can be none for this monster. Not the monster who killed Beth Short nor the monster who had sex with his daughter or the man who destroyed your mother and left her an alcoholic mess.
    I am sorry for all you were forced to discover. I commend you on your courage in sharing it all.
    Thank you for your story.

• Steve Hodel says:

Dear Dr. Dina Y. Thank you for your comments and kind words. Much appreciated. I agree with you that his insanity was congenital. I also agree that he was without conscience, which consequently gave us the monster who brought so much horror to so many lives and their extended families. Best Regards.

3. Samuel Lai says:

Is it possible the Zodiac had access to all the details of BDA cases, that he could adopt every one of them for his own work?

The BTK comes to mind as sharing seemingly some of the most apparent M.O.s; is there any coincidental similarities between BTK and BDA/Zodiac?

• Steve Hodel says:

Samuel L: No. It’s taken me more than a dozen years to ascertain and make the linkage to the different L.A. Lone Woman crimes which themselves spanned nearly a decade. So, in my opinion, the only individual that would know those separate crimes would be–the actual killer himself. Stay tuned more linkage to come. I haven’t studied BTK in any detail, he could have obtained some “general M.O. inspiration” from other serial killers, including Zodiac? Regards, SKH

• Samuel Lai says:

It’s the BTK’s taunting letters to the police and press coming from his desire to promote his work that seems very much unoriginal.

4. Samuel Lai says:

Cold case homocide detective (retired) John A. Cameron’s book “It’s me” claims Ed Edwards was both the BDA and the Zodiac. He also claim Edwards murdered possibly as many as 500 people in the span of 66 years undetected even having written a book “Metamorphosis of a Criminal” while still active.

What is your analysis of Cameron’s claims?

• Steve Hodel says:

Samuel Lai: Do I believe that Ed Edwards was a skilled surgeon and killed Elizabeth “Black Dahlia” Short at age 13? And, prior to that, committed the Chicago “Lipstick Murders” at age 11 and 12 as claimed. NO.

5. Samuel Lai says:

Upon searching for information on the “Jigsaw Murders of Manilla” I instead found information about a Dr. Buck Ruxton of the UK of the mid 1930’s. Apparently the use of surgical skill and anatomical knowledge on a murder victim in the aftermath of a murder is not absolutely unique to Dr. George Hodel.

Also found was the case of the “Jigsaw Killer” also of the UK of the late 2000’s. Police were impressed with the dismemberment of the victim’s body because of the precision of the incisions and the apparently intimate knowledge of human physiology. The body was found to be jointed rather than merely sawn apart.

6. Steve I do hold great interest in these cold cases, something that i’ve always been curious about. Do you think in breaking the codes the Zodiac (if it truly is your father, you knew the man yourself) would have actually had his identity revealed in them? I always thought that someone who put that much work into a code wouldn’t leave out 18 random characters, nor leave behind 4 codes without at least some what of a reason other than to say he enjoyed killing.

• Shane:

When I wrote the first book, MOST EVIL, I felt that he would not go so far as to actually use his real name and identify in the cryptogram. (Even though he said in a Zodiac letter, “If you crack the code you will have me.”) The high-school teacher and his wife (The Harden’s) partially solved the cryptogram, but no name, which reinforced my belief he would never reveal it. However, now with the publication of Most Evil II and the solving of his 1970 “You Ache To Know My Name” cipher by another high-school teacher, Frenchman, Yves Person, I was proven wrong. He DID use his real name concealing the five letters H O D E L. So, what it tells us is that his megalomaniacal ego was ultimately his downfall. He couldn’t resist playing the “master criminal” and going so far as to play for keeps by including his true identity, confident that it would never be solved. Well, he was right for forty-five years, but in the end it became his own signed confession. His own undoing. Regards, Steve

7. CODEBREAKER says:

Steve,
    I have been working on the Zodiac Killer Ciphers for some time now. I have found that the Zodiac uses the letter ” Z ” ,and the character, ” Circle Outline with Cross Centered in it “, when signing many of the ciphers, letters ,or post cards. Therefore, I come up with the name, ” ED “. When I decipher the ” MY NAME IS __ ” CIPHER, this is what I come up with; ” WEED.S.H.REWE “, or ” EDW. W. HERSHE “, or ” EDWARD W. HERSHE “. The three circle outlines with an eight in the center I deciphered as being periods.

8. Rick A. Roberts says:

Steve,
    I believe that there were four individuals(Zodiac Killers) . On 15DEC15 I posted a message about possible identity of one person . Here is my second deciphering of the ” MY NAME IS _ CIPHER . Deciphers to, T E N D O L O N O I N T H . 8 = H, 888 = H.H.H. . Message is, ” HOLDEN TOOTH IN TOOTH ” . What do you think of my work Steve ? Thank you.

• Rick R. I am not a fan of any of the cryptogram wordage I’ve seen so far. Just too generic to have any real meaning. Also, I do not agree there were four suspects, just the one, Dr. George Hill Hodel. Regards, Steve