Dr. George Hodel 1940s “L.A. Lone Woman Murders” Victim Map Update

Here is an updated map showing the approximate locations of the nine (9) “L.A. Lone Woman Murders” in chronological order, covering the years 1943-1949 prior to George Hodel fleeing the country in 1950. In BDA I and II I have catagorized these murders as “Category I- Definites” as opposed to the additional crimes which I list as: Category II (Probables) and III (Possibles).

1940s Lone Woman Murders Category I  (Definites) Victim Map Update -2014

5. Lillian Dominguez 1947
  6. Gladys Kern 1948
  7. Mimi Boomhower 1948
  8. Jean Spangler 1948
  9. Louise Springer 1949

By the Numbers

As I pointed out in my original 2003 investigation, if one takes the position that none of these 1940s Lone Woman murders were connected then, statistically, at least half should have been solved. None were.

It’s now obvious these murders were not committed by nine different sadistic sexual psychopaths all operating within the same locales and tripping over each other’s bodies. The reason none were cleared was because all were committed by the same killer.

Despite the fact that sixty-years ago law enforcement did not really think in terms of “serial killings,” LAPD (with a lot of help from the press) still managed to go public with their belief that many or most of these killings were serial crimes.

With the June 13, 1949, murder of Louise Springer, police reaffirmed, as they had from the very beginning, their suspicions that many if not all of the crimes were connected.

“Police are not overlooking the possibility that a single slayer committed all [nine] of the Los Angeles ‘Horror Murders’”

Long Beach Press Telegram June 17, 1949

springer headline 9 victims 300

Comments

1. Are you writing another book? At the end of the 2012 edition, it sounded like you were going to write about your father’s history before the Black Dahlia killing, and the others you’ve covered.

If so, when do you plan to publish it? It’s an amazing, though horrendous, saga.

• Steve Hodel says:

Hi Mary: Yes, am writing a new book, “The Early Years” but its going to take some time as I am only half done with the investigations. Have just added five (5) new chapters to BDA II and will be updating and publishing that in the next few weeks. BDA III won’t be published for some time. A year or more? Best, Steve

2. Thanks for the update! I have BDA II and will certainly check out the updated version.

I have a print copy. If I buy the kindle version, will any subsequent updates be included automatically?

• Steve Hodel says:

Mary: Don’t think they automatically update older editions, but not sure. I think there is a program that they offer that allows me to offer the revised Ebook version for just a few dollars, but will have to wait and see how that plays out. They also have a library program that I think permits users to have it on loan free for a certain time span? Steve

3. pierre arteau says:

dear mr hodel congrats for your great courage.it takes that to face the possible reality like you didI read your book(in french),it’s fascinating,although frightening…the killer of those women was certainly very sickbut unfortunately all those victims paid for his sickness

• Steve Hodel says:

Dear Pierre: MERCI for the kind words. Yes, very sad story. So many families suffered so much.
      Wish BDA II was translated into French and available. So much more added to the investigation from 2006-2014.
      Maybe some day will be translated. Best Regards, Steve

• pierre arteau says:

dear mr hodel I just read about your fantastic career,you even saved a japanese arrested wrongfully..Now I have an info to ask you…Recently I came across a gruesome video on Youtube,showing the hanging of childkiller gordon northcott oct 2 1930…Was that a real film or actors playing the roles?I can hardly understand that an execution be filmed in all its horror what’s more,there were even onlooker women…even today,it’s not permitted to show real executions once again,I loved and bought your bookthere were so many details and evidences too I’d recommend it to anyone

4. While I do not agree that the two pictures of women that appear in your fathers little photo album are Elizabeth short – one woman out of the two (the one with the statue in the background) CERTAINLY looks a LOT like Jean Spangler.

• Panda: In 2006, I was able to locate, identify and eliminate that woman as not being Elizabeth Short. I conducted a lengthy personal interview with her and determined she was an actress friend of my father and the photo was taken by my father at the Franklin/Sowden House circa 1947. Her name was Marya Marcos.
      Many readers believed, like you, that one or both photos bore a strong resemblance to actress Jean Spangler. In 2013, I conducted state-of-the-art Facial Recognition analysis on the other photograph. I had comparisons made to known photographs of both Jean Spangler and Elizabeth Short. The results indicated there was a “90-95% possibility that the photograph (reclining nude) was Elizabeth Short.
      A 99.8% is required to make a positive ID. See my follow-up book, BDA II (2014 ed.) for those and much more new evidence.

5. Mr Hood says:

Steve, I have my own personal reasons for believing that Georgette Bauerdorf was murder number four, Ora Murray being number three, do you have any idea who number one and two could be?

• Mr. Hood: Not sure what you mean re. the numbering of victims? I have listed the nine victims chronologically by year of crime, starting with Ora Murray in 1943 followed by Bauerdorf in 1944 moving forward in time. Regards, Steve

6. Patricia O'Neill says:

Steve, many years ago my good friend La Rue Raymond lost her mother in much the same way as the LA Lone Woman Murders. The year was 1944 or 1945 in or around Santa Monica. Mrs. Raymond left her home in late afternoon to pick up La Rue’s 5th birthday cake. Capt. Raymond (as I knew him in later years) was a pilot for Pan Am or TWA and was at home with their 2 children. La Rue’s brother (forgotten name now) was the oldest. Mrs. Raymond’s never returned home; her body was found later that evening (I think it was same day) in a horrifying state in some alley near the bakery (only description as told to me by a nun at our high school, Notre Dame, Belmont). From pictures La Rue had, she was a beautiful woman. The murder was never solved. Could this be another Lone Woman victim? Have you ever run across the Raymond name as a cold case? My friend passed away in her 60’s. Our only contact in later years was thru alumni news. Through much of my true crime readings over the years I have learned how murders (both solved & unsolved) can be devastating to family members for perhaps several generations. Rest in Peace, Mrs. Raymond and La Rue.

• Patricia: No, the name has never come up in my research, but if it was Santa Monica PD that investigated, then chances are I would not have seen it. (I only linked the other Santa Monica LWM of Lillian Dominguez because of the note left by her killer) I’ll try and do some research and see if I can locate/identify that crime. From your description, it sounds like it well could be a possible “Lone Woman Murder.” I will let you know if I can locate it. Thank you.

• Patricia: I’m not finding any victim named Raymond in a search of LA Times newspapers, for that time period, which I would think would have mentioned it? Anything additional? Will keep checking. Steve

• Patricia O'Neill says:

Thanks Steve. Yes, if you do uncover anything do let me know. Unfortunately I do not have any additional information….only teenage memories. It is, though, a memory never forgotten. I have found in reading your books a feeling of familiarity with your descriptions of LA and the LAPD. I’m sure it is due to my growing up in SF and with a father and 2 uncles in the SFPD. Also experienced this familiarity when reading “True North” by Thomas North….a biography of his youth and his path to eventual healing and return to Carmel, CA. Watching the funeral of Nancy Reagan and observing Patti and Ron Reagan there also brought this same feeling. I could relate to their pain, confusion and yet fierce loyalty to being Californians. I recall a statement by Jerry Brown saying how The Eagles captured the many feelings of our state. Perhaps we have all experienced in one way or another our own personal “Hotel California” and survived the stronger. Hoping your visit with your new grandson was most enjoyable…..the ultimate reward, Steve!

7. Mr Hood says:

That is very interesting Patricia. I will go check it out too.

Steve, there’s is something that I think was over looked by LE at the Bauerdorf crime scene that hinted she was victim number four. I can’t disclose what it is it yet but I will be looking for similar murders that happened before Ora’s, Patricia O’Neill’s post will be a start.
    Best regards.

8. Patricia O'Neill says:

Thanks Mr. Hood. As I said to Steve, it is strange how a memory stays with you for so many years! As I write this, could I have mistaken Santa Monica with Malibu after so many years? Still feel it is S. Monica, but this just crossed my mind! Do let me know if you find any results.

9. Steve: given theirs it seems like their are missing cases for 1945 and 1946. Also the frequency in the occur ancestors is picking up each year.

• Sam: GHH committed to “Lipstick Murder” crimes in Chicago, in 1945 and one more there in early 1946, then in February left the U.S. for China and UNRRA and did not return until September, 1946. SKH

10. why’d it stop here? i was really enjoying the read

• Imcvjnr: Not sure what you mean by “Why’d it stop here?” I’ve written four books on his killings which now total twenty-five. The blogs are just short updates/overviews on the information presented in my overall investigation and new updates. Regards, Steve

11. Not sure if this site is still active but I have a few questions that perhaps you can answer.

I believe I read somewhere that you believe it is possible he was also the Zodiac killer and lipstick(?) killer. I attempted to find more information and there seems to be no DNA evidence from the Zodiac to compare to but there was a match on handwriting analysis? Also is there any victims named “Penny” or perhaps were nicknamed penny?

If we operate on the assumption that he is in fact the killer, is it not also possible he had an accomplice, possibly female to gain women’s trust?

Also read that a Soil analysis was done in an area around the house and tested positive for human remains. Is there any truth to that?

• W.W.: Yes, I have written four books on the entire investigation. They are all connected to the one suspect, my father, Dr. George Hill Hodel.
      The books are: Black Dahlia Avenger, Most Evil, BDA II, Most Evil II. Suggest you check them out on Amazon. Also, massive updated investigations on my website blog at: http://www.stevehodel.com/blog Not sure who Penny is? No confirmed DNA on Zodiac to date, but I do have a full DNA profile available on my father, if and when they ever obtain Zodiac’s. Doubtful he had a female accomplice on any of the Zodiac crimes. No witness indicate that. Yes, soil analysis obtained from my father’s residence came back positive for human remains as well as a cadaver dog (Buster) alerting to human remains prior to the testing. See blogs at my website. Regards, Steve

12. Paul Kaufman says:

What about my other questions i asked?

• Steve Hodel says:

Paul K: This is not a chat board for Q&A. Happy to post comments but not to use as a location for exploring and analyzing other “theories” which would be an impossible and endless task. Regards, Steve Hodel